03 July, 2019

Summertime Perambulations: It's the Music That Matters

Previous perambulation

My stop at Sugar Shack resulted in no new music entering my collection. Sections of one of the CD racks have been empty for a while now and a notice at the counter informs us that they are not currently buying merchandise. I've never been intimately familiar with the vagaries of owning and running a record store and I'm sure things are much more difficult today than ever before with streaming services, YouTube, and downloads. Whatever may be happening at Sugar Shack, I hope they remain in business.

Traipsing by The Harmony I spied this:

11

What's the architectural term for that bas relief thingy up by the top of the wall? Is it a frieze? My ignorance of architecture aside, it's a nice little bit of ornamentation. Likewise that lunette. What a shame that most of the rest of the building is now covered in siding, likely vinyl, that is rather ugly, to my eyes, in contrast to the old brick and whatnot.

Across the street where the Capital City Trail intersects Atwood Aveneue are a couple more pieces by Sid Boyum which are probably the most well-known of the lot, "Smiling Mushroom" and "Blue Dragon Urn".

63

A block west on Atwood in that triangular grassy area bordered by Atwood, Eastwood Drive, and Division Street is another of his works, "Tree Limb Faces" or "Tree Spirits", depending if you go by the stone plaque at the base of the sculpture or the website of the Friends of Sid Boyum.

12

Across Division Street in that little wooded area that abuts Monty's Blue Plate Diner's parking lot are yet even more of Boyum's art. This is "Creature Abstract":

13

While this one is called "Blue Tripod":

62

Across the street is the historic and lovely Barrymore Theatre. Built in 1929 it has seen its share of movies (blue and otherwise), live performances, community events, etc. Some history can be found at the theatre's website. It'd be wonderful if the porticos make a return.

66

I saw my first concert in Madison there. Or at least my first concert off campus, anyway. It was Blues Traveler on 19 March 1991. A guy on my dorm floor had a spare ticket so we hoofed it there from campus stopping for a few pulls from a hip flask and to share a joint in that space between buildings on the south side of what is now Union Hair Parlor. That walkway is now gated and fenced off. Thinking about other shows I've attended at the Barrymore, I realize I have a habit of seeing Richard Thompson there in the wake of some upheaval in my life, e.g. – being dumped by a girlfriend or the death of a relative.

On the next block at 2044 Atwood is a building that used to house a Chinese restaurant but now appears vacant. Part of the roof is looking a little rough. I rather like this building and hope it gets a little love and a new tenant soon.

14

Eventually I walk into Mad City Music and find that the proprietor, Dave Zero, is there. I haven't seen him in some time. I peruse the used CDs before heading to the counter to order some tunes. Sadly, Adrian Belew's new album is only available via his website while 3 Feet High and Rising is out of print. Only A Rainbow in Curved Air can be had and it's an import at that. Not a total loss though I would not return home with any new music for my collection.

Ramblin' on to Willy Street

No comments: