28 September, 2026

A Salt & Vinegar Miscellany XXIII: Fully Loaded


Gah! I cannot recall exactly where I bought these. My best guess is that they were procured at the Aldi in a mall (a.k.a. - shopping centre) on Market Street or High Street in Manchester. As I recall, they were nestled in amongst lots of candy on a shelf that you walk by as you are making your way to the register.

Here in the States Aldi is a downmarket place yet the one where I got these is smack dab in the middle of Manchester's shopping district in the city centre. Is it a bit more upscale over there? I'd expect the UK equivalent of Trader Joe's/Whole Foods to be in that mall. Has the UK fallen on hard times? 

Snackrite appears to be one of Aldi's house brands. With the words "FULLY LOADED" on the label, I had a slight hope that these would be nice'n'tangy.

They smelled, well, like peanuts with a hint of vinegar. They were tan which I presume means they were dry roasted and had white dust on them - magic vinegar dust, I hoped.

The nuts had a nice, mild roasty taste along with a slight sweetness and a mellow tang. No extra salt was applied, as far as I could taste. For those familiar with Planters peanuts, these were closer to their lightly salted variety rather than the normal salted one. The ingredients list had barley malt vinegar powder which gets bonus points from me. But the vinegar flavor is faint enough that you need to throw a bunch of these into your mouth at once to get a decent zip and discern the barley malt taste.

More vinegar flavor would have been nice, especially since it was malt vinegar, but these peanuts were fine. A tasty diversion from my normal peanut diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment