10 February, 2007

The Sexiest Astrophysicist Alive

I had a dream a few days ago that involved my father. While the details were lost to me upon regaining consciousness, I do recall that he was in there somewhere. When I mentioned my dad here, I usually discuss his racism or his love of cooking and of history, especially that of World War II. But he was also a backyard astronomer. My brother and I each inherited one of our father's telescopes and, while I latched onto the cooking thing, my brother took to astronomy and history. In fact, he went to college to study astronomy. And so thinking about my dad in this respect, I listened to a podcast this morning featuring Neil deGrasse Tyson.



Dr. Tyson was voted "Sexiest Astrophysicist Alive" back in 2000 and he has stepped up to the plate in trying to fill the shoes of Carl Sagan as a populizer of astronomy and of science generally. In addition to being the director of the Hayden Planetarium, he hosts the PBS show Nova scienceNOW and his latest book, which came out last month, is Death By Black Hole And Other Cosmic Quandaries.

Most of my reading in the area of physics and astronomy comes from John Gribbin, an English astrophysicist. But, after having listened to Tyson speak several times, I've decided that I must really buy some of his books. Looking around his website, I see that he appeared on The Jon Stewart Show recently. (You can start watching here. His tie rocks!) While most of the times I've heard him, it's been in the context of science & rationalism vs. religion, but hearing him talk about his specialty is a great treat. Tyson is a wonderful speaker. He is funny and really knows how to take complex topics and make them interesting & accessible for people who cannot grasp all the heavy math involved – people like me. In the podcast I listened to this morning, he argued very plainly and very passionately for good science education. Too many scientists are come across as being placid, but not Tyson. In fact, much of his charisma stems from the fact that he speaks with such passion about whatever topic he happens to be elaborating upon. Anyone who can explain why Pluto is not a planet and make you laugh at the same time deserves your attention.

No comments: