06 June, 2007

What the World Eats

The Dulcinea sent this link to me earlier - "What the World Eats. It's an online gallery featuring photos by Peter Menzel from his book Hungry Planet. The photos show a family with the food they consume over a week. Here's what stuck out for me:

1) The processed foods that families in industrialized nations ate compared to vast amount of fresh vegetables and fruit that other families consumed.

2) Having just written about Medieval cooking, I can see many items that people have been eating for centuries. Bread, it seems, will never go out of style.

Also note the beer and wine in the German family's diet:



This , I think, says a couple things. Firstly and the most obvious is that German people love beer. Back in the Middle Ages in Western Europe, everyone drank beer - men, women, and children. Beer was potable whereas most water sources were not. Secondly, it reminded me of an attitude not commonly held here in the States, namely, that beer is food. It ain't called liquid bread for nothin'. If you're a youngin' like me, ask your grandparents if they remember the days when Schlitz advertised the vitamin content of their beer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was struck by how little protein the family in the refugee camp in Chad had - and how few fresh vegetables. Imagine a typical American family trying to make heads or tails of bags of rice and grain.

I'm looking forward to reading that book - I hope lots of context is given as it was difficult to tell from the slideshow how much people were paying of their income, etc.

The D.

Anonymous said...

Beer is food!

A pork chop in every can, baby!

Skip said...

Perhaps I should have gotten you that book for your birthday instead of Uncommon Grounds.