23 February, 2009

International Fest '09: Be the Rhythm to the Plan

After the UW Russian Folk Orchestra performance, I went and grabbed a bite to eat, namely, some Native American fry bread and some meatballs. The Dulcinea headed home while I returned to the Rotunda stage where I caught the Taiwan Puppet Troupe taking their bows. The TPT was followed by Rose Onama who entertained children and adults alike with her African storytelling and singing.



Onama recently suffered a stroke but it didn't hamper her much. While it did limit her ability to dance, she was still able to shake her bottom (and get the audience to do the same). She told a story with an environmental that began, much to the delight of the kids, with people eating the sky which was made out of pizza.



As the story went on, the people became gluttons with no regard for Mother Earth which displeased the gods. I wish I'd brought my voice recorder but, alas, I did not. But there was a happy ending with everyone regaining respect for Mother Earth. I was left wondering what replaced pizza when the story is told in Onama's native Uganda.



After a bit of dancing, Onama was out of time. She promised that the next time she saw us, she would tell the story which illustrates how husbands ignore the words of their wives at their own peril. (This tale is, no doubt, particularly apocryphal. Ahem.)

No comments: