02 February, 2009

A Day at the Marshes

Since Saturday was sunny and warm, Miles and I joined my friend Dogger and his daughter Miss Regan for a stroll at Cherokee Marsh for a nice walk. We met at the north unit trailhead which is at the northern terminus of Sherman Ave.



It wasn't long before we were at the marsh and the platform there which, in warmer, wetter seasons, can be used for birdwatching. The view was wonderful.





Dogger informed that, back in the day, this area was populated by duck blinds and that every red-blooded Madison male was out here during duck season.

This is part of the plank trail that leads out into the marsh:



It was apparently much longer in its antediluvian days. Last summer's flooding took its toll.



Looking at the flora, Dogger and I agreed that the both of us were woefully ignorant of Wisconsin's trees. I have a poster that I got at a DNR station up in Brule when I was working for them a few years ago that shows Wisconsin's deciduous trees. It will have to be dusted off, framed, and hung for reference so I can sound authoritative like that Monty Python skit: "The larch…the larch…."

At the top of the hill we found a bench and another buena vista.



After a brief respite, we headed down the hill…



…and then found ourselves in another area which also had more trails made of old planks that extended out into the marsh.



The hour and half we were out there whizzed by but I think we managed to synthesize a goodly amount of vitamin D. And, except for a plane or two, it was nice and peaceful. I shall definitely have to hit the trail again when the weather is warmer, the marsh has water, and the foliage is in bloom.

No comments: