23 February, 2009

International Fest '09: The Fellowship of the Beer

With the Swiss Alphorns having finished their welcome, I went to check out the Madison Männerchor. (That's Madison Men's Choir for you non-German speakers.) They are regular performers at the International Fest yet I'd never seen them perform. And so I went downstairs to the Rotunda stage.



The Madison Männerchor was founded back in 1852 and is the second oldest German men's choir in the country.



Now, I know a little German and it wasn't hard to pick out all the times they sang some variation on "trinken" (to drink). Every other song was about drinking and fellowship. By the time they'd finished, I was craving beer. (Hint to the Overture Center's director of food and beverage operations: when it's cold outside and a storm is dumping six inches of snow, we need a good hearty beer like a bock, not Capital's Island Wheat, a brew more fit for summer.)

I was in the lobby when the singers were preparing to leave. Unsurprisingly, they were heading to Nick's Restaurant to knock back a few brews.

No comments: