17 April, 2005

Son Volt Who?

Christ! I've got so much to write about yet my lasagna beckons me. Let me get the routine blogginess out of the way to begin. Firstly, there's Doctor Who news to be had. As you probably don't know Chris Eccleston has bailed on the series after one season. His replacement has been announced – David Tennant. He's done various TV shows and films in the UK but he has a Who connection - he's a veteran of the audio dramas. I'm currently downloading a copy of yesterday's episode, "Aliens of London".

On a musical note, I've gotten a hold of a couple Son Volt shows from last month. They feature most, if not all, of the new album, Okemah and the Melody of Riot plus another tune not on it called "Joe Citizen Blues", which is probably the most overt political statement of Farrar's career. Plus there's a trio of covers involved: "Justice Tonight/Kick It Over" by The Clash and, if you can believe this, "Communication Breakdown" by Led Zeppelin. Hearing Farrar do Robert Plant is really quite amusing. A whole lotta fun! Here's the setlist for the 20 March show from Fort Worth, Texas:

1. Who
2. Six-String Belief
3. Bandages & Scars
4. Atmosphere
5. Chaos Streams
6. Gramophone
7. Ipecac
8. Joe Citizen Blues
9. Tear-Stained Eye
10. Windfall
11. Jet Pilot
12. Endless War
13. Afterglow 61
14. Driving The View
15. Loose String
16. Route
17. Straightface
18. Medication
19. Justice Tonight/Kick It Over
20. Drown
21. Communication Breakdown

I must say that, of the new songs, "Afterglow 61" is the most catchy. It's quite a bit like the tunes from Trace in that it's got this catchy, wide open riff that makes for great roadtrip music. I've got a couple trades in the works. I'll be getting shows by North Mississippi All-Stars, Neil Young, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Warren Zevon, and Jethro Tull:

Rolling Stones - 1972 tour soundboard compilation
Led Zeppelin - Destroyer 4.27.77
Warren Zevon - covers -1970's, 1980's & 1990's
Warren Zevon – 1.22.99 Madison, WI
Tull – Supercharged in L.A. 7.21.73
Tull - Copenhagen 12.4.74
North Mississippi All-Stars 5.15.2003
Neil Young 11.15.1976, 10.24.2004

After Friday night, I just had to get me a Goose Island Ramblers CD. And I did. It was recorded in 1999 out in Mt. Horeb. It's some killer polkabilly! I'm going to do my first book review. It's Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner. I gave it a brief once-over this afternoon and it looks to be a fun film-geek read. It should also get me motivated to watch the film again as well. A trip to the bookstore yielded a couple purchases. First was Alan Lomax: Selected Writings, 1934 -1997 while the second was The Multi Orgasmic Man. Let's see if I can master the art of multiple orgasms.

Well, the lasagna was tasty and it's getting late. I've gotta find me a new Doctor Who drama to listen to in bed.

No comments: