17 August, 2008

The Malt House Improves the Lager Quotient

On Friday I made a trek to The Malt House to meet up with a couple friends. I found that it was about a 25-minute walk and would have been a bit less had I not stopped to talk to a guy pulling weeds and petted his neighbor's dog.

Walking in, I found a seat next to my compatriots and took a look at the printed beer menu. Much to my surprise and delight, there were several more lagers available, bringing the total to around 30. Looking down at the other end of the bar, I saw that the third set of taps was now fully armed and operational. Imagine my delight when I discovered that there were, not one, but two lagers on tap whereas before there were none - Fauerbach Export and Fox River Pils.

I began the evening with an Export and it wasn't log before Dogger and Old Man Standiford had hopped on the Fauerbach bandwagon. At one point we noticed Bill moseying over to the big board and erasing Fauerbach. We had finished the barrel.

Considering my post about The Malt House's opening is one of my most popular ever, I've found it odd that the place has usually been so empty. On Friday, however, the joint was quite crowded, a very good thing. Those Belgians aren't cheap. Dogger and Dan came to the conclusion that the only thing missing was some food. Not pizza but some nice cheese sandwiches like I had at the Great Taste this year from Baumgartners. All you need is a rye bread, a small selection of cheeses, and some sausage. The perfect meal to compliment all the fine beers.

I am hoping that the place is doing alright financially. If anything ever becomes of Union Corners, I'm sure that would help business. As long as they don't put in televisions or electronic dart boards, I think it'll be alright.

No comments: