07 October, 2011

You Know You're Rich When...

...you can ignore your children and then, when you're on your deathbed, you hire an author to write your biography so the kids will know their father. Like Steve Jobs.

"I wanted my kids to know me," Jobs was quoted as saying by Pulitzer Prize nominee Walter Isaacson, when he asked the Apple Inc co-founder why he authorized a tell-all biography after living a private, almost ascetic life.

"I wasn't always there for them, and I wanted them to know why and to understand what I did," Jobs told Isaacson in their final interview at Jobs' home in Palo Alto, California.


"Almost ascetic"?! What a joke. Simeon Stylites lived an ascetic lifestyle so an "almost ascetic" lifestyle is one where you at least live in a hovel and do your godly contemplation. Asceticism is about renouncing worldly things such as those that begin with a lower-case "i", not designing the fucking things and living in a mansion.

I presume Jobs' kids will read the biography as an e-book on iPads. Just the way dad would have wanted.

No comments: