17 January, 2024

Glühbier v2

Earlier this month, I tried my hand at mulling beer. It proved unsuccessful with the beer taking on a prominent and distasteful bitterness. At the time, I wasn't sure if it was the hops becoming pronounced as the beer warmed or if I had added too much mulling spices, i.e. - an overdose of clove and mace. Not ready to admit defeat, I recently tried again.

This time, I tempered my zeal for spice and used only 2 cloves and a lone cinnamon stick. For my mulligan, I went with Hofbräu Winter Spezial, a doppelbock.

Not shown is my jar of buckwheat honey.

I gently simmered, sampling all the while.

 
While those spoonfuls from the kettle, er, saucepan were warming, the end result was the same as last time: bitterness reigned.

I think I could make something palatable if I were to add more cherry juice and a lot more honey. But I fear I'd be masking the taste of the beer to too large a degree.

A failed experiment but I shall do a bit more research to see what can be done.

No comments: