17 January, 2024

However you say it, this beer is OK by me: O-Katz by Urban Chestnut Brewing

I may be a bit late with this review but, if breweries are going to release their Oktoberfest beers during those days when Sirius follows the sun, then I can review one in the bowels of winter.

And I do mean bowels. Jebus, it's cold out! Considering all the bitching about Madison Metro's new bus network and all of the problems riders are encountering, I am thankful that everything went smoothly yesterday. It was about -10°F in the morning when I trekked out to the bus stop. My C bus was on-time and the driver greeted me with his usual warm demeanor and welcoming bonhomie. I look forward to the temperature being above 0° the next time I am waiting for the bus.

For once I did not go to Chicago (or St. Louis, for that matter) to enjoy some Urban Chestnut beer. Instead a friend of mine got a hold of a cache via a friend of his who had apparently ventured south and I ended up being the beneficiary of this kindly stranger's travels and refined taste in beer. My friend gifted me a 4-pack of UC's O-Katz Oktoberfest just before Jesus' birthday (observed).

O-Katz is short for Oachkatzlschwoaf which means "tail of a squirrel". I do not understand this cultural reference but UC's Bavarian-born brewmaster, Florian Kuplent, does and that's what counts. It wasn't that long ago that I was enjoying some of his Dunkel in more temperate weather. The stuff was quite tasty and I expected no less here with his Oktoberfest.

I will note here that, since I took this slightly out of focus photograph, I have gotten a new phone whose auto focus seems to be a bit better on these close-up snaps. Methinks the auto white balance it still lacking but that's a gripe for another time.

My O-Katz poured a hazy gold. I assumed it was a protein haze or whatever you call it because I have a hard time thinking that a Bavarian brewmaster wouldn't centrifuge or filter an Oktoberfest to perfect burnished aureal clarity. A palpable sense of relief washed over me after seeing the beer's color. I felt bad because I know I shouldn't have; I knew the brewmaster is Deutsch. But I've been exposed to American Oktoberfests for so long that I am just accustomed to them looking and tasting like someone melted a bunch of Werther's candy and added booze.

Of course a Bavarian would take the more "authentic" route and go pale.

My pour had a lovely off-white head that lasted an average amount of time and I spied a fair number of bubbles inside.

I knew I was in for a real treat when I took a whiff and smelled bread and grass. The kids can keep their aromatic melanges of tropical fruits most of them have never eaten or even seen in their lives and I'll take the Brot und Gras. Smelling that heavenly combo sets my Teutonic blood flowing with extra vigor.

My tongue was greeted by the golden elixir like it was a conquering hero as wave after wave of Maillard triumph washed over it. That bready taste was simply marvelous! There was some honeyed sweetness, but just a bit. Spicy hops lurked underneath all of the malty goodness and kept things balanced.

On the swallow, the bready taste gently fades as peppery/grassy hops come in to cleanse the palate with a medium dose of bitterness which led to a satisfyingly dry finish.

As Milhouse Van Houten is wont to say, that's good squishy!

O-Katz is on a very short list of American Oktoberfests that obviate the need to buy Paulaner Wiesn in September. Alas, it is not available here in Wisconsin. Too bad because this beer is just great. Plenty of bready goodness wrapped in a perfect mix of spicy and grassy hops inside a luscious light-medium bodied brew with just the right amount of fizz.

Junk food pairing: For the full Gateway to the West experience, pair your Oachkatzlschwoaf with a bag of Old Vienna (of St. Louis) Southern Style Sweet & Spicy BBQ potato chips.

No comments: