31 March, 2024

These are the ones (I was looking for)

So I bought some Blue Öyster Cult this weekend. 

I know Mirrors very well but Cultösaurus Erectus is largely foreign to me. These albums get short shrift in the popular narrative about the band's career. "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" and "Godzilla" and arguably the peak of their career came just before these albums while Fire of Unknown Origin and "Burnin' For You" are soon to come.

But we've got a couple songs written with Michael Moorcock, "The Great Sun Jester" and "Black Blade". And, I would argue, those laid back California vibes made for a nice change of pace on Mirrors. "In Thee" is a very beautiful song, for example. Plus, "A mirror is a negative space with a frame" is just a classic B.Ö.C. line.

Some great music here.

No comments: