30 December, 2003

Ed Anger Is My Hero!


I am as angry as a stewardess with an armful of vomit-filled air sickness bags! Last night, the Sundance Channel was having a documentary fest and I caught The Trials of Henry Kissinger. To say that it left a sour taste in my mouth is like saying that Hitler disliked Jews. It chronicled how Hank played both sides in his ascendency to power and then pointed finger after finger at him for prolonging the war in Vietnam, the invasion of Cambodia, the tragedy in East Timor, etcetera, etcetera. Can it be any wonder that most of the world fucking hates the U.S.? Time after time, he'd deny something in an interivew, such as giving Indonesia the green light to invade East Timor, and then some declassified document would come up which contradicted his statements. Kissinger defends himself in his books but he does so by referring to documents which will be unavailable to the public until 5 years after his death - at his request! Unfucking real. I just wanna throw a fucking Confederate flag on my Cabalmobile and start shooting guns. How can an American explain why we let our government get away with this shit? The United States isn't a dictatorship so it's not like we've got guns pointed at our heads if we dare try to make a change. "Sorry Mr. Third World Citizen, I'm too busy on my cell phone to do even a little thing to help out like voting."

Nothing can survive in a vacuum
No one can exist all alone
We pretend things only happen to strangers
We've all got problems of our own
It's enough to learn to share our pleasures
We can't soothe pain with sympathy
All that we can do is be reminded
We shake our heads at the tragedy

I went to bed beside myself. Honestly, I'm surprised that I fell asleep so quickly. My brain was wired - I had been stoned on caffeine pretty much all day and hadn't eaten anything excepting a piece of cake. Thougts of morality and geopolitics kept running through my head - I was so fucking angry. (Oddly enough, I also felt very frisky. Perhaps anger and libido are on the same coin...?) After a short stretch of tossing and turning, I finally fell into the arms of Morpheus.

Here I am the next morning (and a gorgeous morning it is too) and I'm still pissed off. So I put in some Fish and Rage Against the Machine. I'm trying to be constructive but I can't. My mind is a miasma and I just can't think particularly clearly. Maybe I oughta change the music to something a little less, um, angry. OK. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis.

No comments: