05 September, 2005

The End of a Long Weekend

While the weekend was not particularly productive, it was fun. Although the miniature painting party was called off, Pete, Marv, and Christopher came over on Saturday afternoon. We bascially sat around eating and shooting the shit with Chris displaying his infatuation with Toecutter with zeal. I had rented the first DVD of Firefly so we watched that. Pete and Chris were unfamiliar with it while Marv had seen a few episodes. The DVD had the first 3 episodes of the series and I will say that it was enjoyable. The frauleins on the show were hot with Morena Baccarin's cleavage especially noteworthy. I didn't find it that great that I would actually buy the entire series on DVD but I do intend to watch the rest of it and go see Serenity. It's definitely fun watching but it just doesn't have that special something to get me really involved. The characters are a good mix - a whore, a priest, a rogue, a hottie mechanic, etc. and I'm keen on watching as they are developed. Ron Glass' character especially intrigues me. He is the priest (shepherd) and, so far, has been seeing trying to keep the peace. However, there is a scene in which he cold cocks a guy so you know he can fight and thusly must have a past and that it was probably a violent one. The cinematography is really great and there was even a brief bit of montage editing which was, unfortunately not repeated during the sequence in which we are introduced to Inara Serra, the Companion, a.k.a. - whore. Technically, it's a nice little piece of work and I enjoyed the post-modern feel with nods to the western, Blade Runner, Star Wars, et al. It's just missing something - some quirk that would really endear me to it. Still, as I said, I'll watch the whole series and then I'll pass a final judgement.

We also watched The Gamers, a cheapy video about gamers (what else?) made by a group of people called Dead Gentlemen Productions who are obviously devoted fans of Dungeons & Dragons. Despite the low budget (but not that low) and the amateur actors, it was a friggin' blast! They know and love gaming so the story included lots of bits that we gamers are familiar with: the stupid crap that players want to do, the frustration of DMs everywhere, the sound of dice rolling, and whatnot. It cuts back and forth between a group of gaming dorks in a college dorm room and their band of intrepid adventurers in the game world. I had a hearty belly laugh a couple times as we watched. The first came when the party was in a tavern and the thief wanted to backstab a guy threatening the party. At first he was going to use a dagger but decided to use a sword instead. Then he got the bright idea of using a ballista. Hearing the DM moan and say, "You want to backstab with a ballista?" just cracked me up. And then there was the scene in which the party are trying to get into a castle and they need to bust open a grate. The barbarian with his 19 strength wrenches his back so the elf steps up. You can hear the DM ask the player, "What's your strength?" "Six," he replies. I cracked up right then and there. OK, if you've never gamed and this makes no sense, I apologize. But, if you've gamed before, see this video by all means. I guarantee you will laugh.

The Dulcinea came over while we were watching it and, needless to say, stayed over after everyone else had left. Here's a bit of what happened after Stevie and Becca hit the rack:

We fuck this way for a bit and then I say, "I want you to fuck me from behind". I stand and make my way around the edge of the loveseat. He enters me and I'm so glad I suggested it, it feels amazing. I'm bent over the arm of the loveseat, and being a bit drunk, my head spins a bit, so I straighten up slightly, and then more, and I'm delighted to realize we can fuck this way when I'm standing almost entirely straight.

These moments in his front room are so hot - the idea that we could be seen from the street, or caught by the roomates is part of that. But there is something else afoot too. Something about the size of the room the variety of surfaces upon which to fondle and fuck. And now, after all these months, we've done so much here...


Today she and I went to see Broken Flowers. I liked it quite a bit. Actually, we both did. The slow, deliberate pace may take some getting used to but I think the whole point of it was to stand in contrast from the usual hectic pace one might engage in upon receiving such news as did Bill Murray's character. He found out that he has a son in his late teens that is looking for him, his father. Rather than jumping up or showing any such sign of excitement or anxiousness, he is rather blase about it and the pace of the film reflects his stoic reaction to the news. He runs into some weird people along the way on his journey to find out which of his former lovers had his son. Plus there's Alexis Dziena, who plays Lolita, the daughter of an old flame. She's a hottie and we get to see her stark nekkid, including a nice bit of bush. I must admit that this scene made me a bit randy which explains what happened when The Dulcinea came back to my place afterwards.

She had to leave a bit before 6 so I whipped up a new podcast to commemorate the life of R.L. Burnside who passed away last week. I then got a bug up my ass and finally went and bought some more blank CD-Rs. While I was at the store, I noticed that The Temple of Elemental Evil was on sale for 9 bucks so I snagged that as well. Honestly, I haven't played a computer game in about three years and haven't played one seriously and finished it since the late 90s. I'm just not a big computer gamer. But this was D&D and was cheap so how could I resist?

Well, I am not looking forward to returning to work. But this week should be fun. On Thursday I am going to see a play - The Play's the Thing out at APT, a wonderful outdoor theater nestled in the woods west of Madison. On Friday I will probably go have a few beers with a bunch of pagans that I haven't seen in a while. And I would like to see Yes, Sally Potter's new film. While reviews have been horrible, the dialogue is in iambic pentameter. How can I resist?

No comments: