05 May, 2006

Buckystein

Fans of cheesy horror flicks can finally buy local. Buckystein will be showing at the Barrymore Theater on the 13th. It was made by fellow Madisonian Geoff Lafayette and was shot entirely here in town with locals on the cheap.

Check out the preview by Isthmus.

It's about Dr. Henry Frankenstein, a mad UW scientist ("I'm mad, but maybe I am mad!") who regenerates a roadkilled badger with the help of a hamburger from Union South.

"I need 20 ccs of VQ97!" exclaims Frankenstein, in a typical line. "I'm alive!" declares his handiwork, in another. Of course, the creature's grotesque disfigurement comes as a surprise. "I used fresh stem cells," Frankenstein insists.

The in-jokes are hilarious, from the open-minded housing co-op residents who gamely take the monster in ("We accept you for who you are!"), to the conservative protesters sporting signs like "Keep your liberal ideas away from my guns." And when the Act Out! bicyclists who inanely block traffic are being slaughtered, a harried mom yells at one for getting blood on her minivan: "I just got it washed!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BUCKYSTIEN will be available from your local Madison, WI video store Starting September 9th, 2006. For rent or buy for $9.99