25 June, 2012

My Old School

A blog that I discovered today, A Chicago Sojourn, has a post about my high school down in the Windy City, Lane Tech.

Lane Technical College Prep High School (architect John C. Christensen) is a Gothic icon on Western Avenue, a break from the relentlessly dense and unplanned commercial onslaught that lines Chicago’s longest street. Lane Tech occupies a full city block (or more); the building is beautifully and artfully planned, with enormous spacious grounds surrounding an equally enormous building complex. Founded as Albert G. Lane Technical School in 1908, it is the city’s largest high school, housing over 4,000 students.

It is truly a beautiful building and there are some nice photos of the murals inside. I don't recall the library, though, but it sure looks nice. The auditorium isn't shown but I think there was a memorial something or other for the Apollo 1 mission in the foyer. Also missing is the stadium which was featured in the movie Wildcats.

I thought this part was amusing: "Both the librarian and a security worker I spoke to had glowing praise for the student body – hard workers, disciplined, well behaved, smart." Things have obviously changed since I went there since it was dangerous to be an underclassman back in those days. I remember that Halloween was sheer chaos and many teachers called in sick on that day rather than deal with the eggs, shaving cream, and general mayhem.

Ah, those were the days.



No comments: