20 February, 2023

Back in theaters: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

How wonderful to have Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon back in theaters. I think it was the first bit of wuxia (or martial arts tale set in ancient China) for many Americans. I presume it was brought back as star Michelle Yeoh is popular once again because of her role in Everything Everywhere All At Once.

It was a hoot watching those fight scenes once again with the actors flying around on wires. The bad gal, Jade Fox, was suitably villainous with a dose of hubris for a classical character flaw. A pair of romances provided some motivation as well breaks from the investigation and fight scenes. There were some instances of those eternal conflicts in the human condition: between man and woman and between youth and age.

My Frau came out of the theater swooning over Chang Chen. For my part, I thought Michelle Yeoh was smoking! Oh, and Zhang Ziyi was pretty little thing too. And they were badasses, both.

I'd like to read the story that this film was based on.

No comments: