21 June, 2023

If you're going to San Francisco, put an Anchor Steam in your glass

To the best of my recollection, my San Francisco-loving girlfriend did not introduce me to Anchor Steam. Instead, that was at the hands of a former roommate. But I do seem recall her imbibing the brew as part of her indulgence of all things San Francisco. It was part of the package, so to speak.

I've gotta say, this new label just doesn't compare with the old one. To the best of my knowledge, the label redesign was courtesy of the brewery's new corporate masters, Sapporo, who bought it in 2017. I guess I just have fond memories of drinking the stuff with the old label back in the mid-90s. At least they kept the shorter, stubbier bottle.

Steam beer, which I assume is also known as California common, is brewed with lager yeast. But, instead of letting the little fungi do the sugar eating/alcohol pooping routine at chillier temperatures as is their wont, they do it at the warmer temps that their ale brethren prefer. Legend has it that the term "steam beer" came from the days when Anchor would stow its wort in tubs on the roof of the brewery to let cool ocean breezes chill it down to a suitable temperature. The steam rising from these open containers gave us the name.

Anchor Steam is a beautiful clear amber. I got a nice, white head on top but it largely went away before I could get a snap. It smelled like caramel with something floral throw in the mix as well.

While there's a bit of a caramel taste, it is not particularly sweet. Perhaps a good, solid fizziness helps in this regard. This is joined by a light breadiness and a nice, firm dose of hops which have a spicy/herbal - almost minty - flavor to them.

This is a fine brew. It's got a clean, lagery malt flavor balanced by a generous dose of hops which provide a brisk counterpoint.

A few days before I began preparing this post, I learned that Anchor is pulling back and will only be available in California from here on out. Sad news. I don't drink Anchor beers that often but the occasional Anchor Steam has been a welcome treat for some time now. It seems that Anchor just hasn't been able to tack the stormy seas of the craft beer world. This American tradition sadly cannot hold its own against the IPA madness.

Well, it just means something extra special if/when I get to San Francisco.

(Continue with "On the Verge of Going Into Operation Crystallization".)

No comments: