14 October, 2024

I may not be able to brew dunkels myself, but I have always gone after dark beers: Dunkel by Dovetail Brewery

In preparing for this post, I looked at my notes and saw that the date on my can was 3/1/24. Not sure if this was the canning or best consumed by date. Luckily for my tongue I did my tasting back in the spring. But this also means my review is around six months late and counting. Uff da!

Although it appears that Dovetail has been brewing their Dunkel for several years now, it's not apparent when they do so. Is it a fall release? An easy-drinking winter surprise for those times when you need a break from the slew of Weihnachtsbocks you've been consuming to stay warm? Hell, it could be a spring treat for all I know. All mention of the bier seems to have been expunged from the Dovetail website so I guess I'll just have to wait until it's brewed again. Well, either that or I could write the brewery.

While I have not had anywhere near even half of the brews Dovetail have concocted, I have tasted several and found that they range from very good to superlative. How would their take on the Munich classic (was it even a Munich dunkel?) fare?

The head on this beer was just wonderful. Loose and light tan, it came in large quantities and had staying power. This is a good thing for those of us that lack dexterity when it comes to camera phones and/or have very cheap phones with camera apps that are less than fully functional. Someday I will master autofocus. The liquid was dark amber and clear. A sight to behold! As for the aroma, I'd say it was what I'd hope for/expect in a dunkel, namely, bready with coffee and toasty notes as well as some nice grassy hops.

A mild fizz greeted my tongue on the first sip and it noted a medium-light body. There was the expected bread from the aroma while the grassy hops also had a spicy alter ego. Malty sweetness was rather minimal while coffee and dark chocolate were more prominent. I also tasted a hint of vanilla in there. Likely because of the restrained fizziness, Dunkel was fairly smooth overall.

On the swallow, the roasty malt flavors lingered before a good dose of herbal hoppiness swooped in and made the finish a rather dry and bitter affair.

Dunkel comes in at a very good plus plus. I adored the roasty malt flavors and the overall dry profile. But I kept wishing for more bready taste. The hops were perfectly portioned to offer a brisk counterpoint to the malt. But I kept wishing for more bready taste.

Despite desiring more Maillard madness, this was a great beer. I would definitely drink it again as it hit the spot this past spring. The lighter body pointed towards spring while the roasty flavors kept the lingering chill at bay.

Junk food pairing: When Dunkel is next available, be sure to have a bag of Zapp's Voodoo Pretzel Stix on hand. They're ever so slightly sweet with an addictive tanginess that Dunkel will wash down perfectly.

No comments: