Several years ago a family member alerted me to a book about Marvin Glass in which my great uncle was mentioned. I'd never seen a copy until now.
I've been skimming the book, reading about my great uncle, mostly, but I have learned about many toys I was unfamiliar with as well as that the company was responsible for the arcade game Journey featuring the band whose "Don’t Stop Believin'" was featured in the final scene of The Sopranos. Sadly, I also learned about a mass shooting at their offices in 1976 when a disgruntled designer killed 3 and wounded 2.
The sidebar about my great uncle notes he was known as "The Sarge" for his no nonsense approach to managing the designers.
I had never heard that nickname before but do recall him as being mild-mannered but also not afraid to speak his mind. Plus he always gave me $100 bills at Christmas and, when I was very young, I was allowed into the basement at his house where there were piles of toys that his company had designed and I was allowed to take whatever I wanted.
Since his death I've heard several stories about him and have come to understand him as a very generous person who prioritized family. When I was a young man he told me that it was fine to sow your oats in your 20s but, by 30, I should start moving into a career and, essentially, start being a responsible adult - advice that I followed. Largely, anyway.


No comments:
Post a Comment