06 April, 2006

How Can You Have Pudding If You Don't Eat Your Meat?

I had the day off yesterday and decided to do something that I hadn't done in a while - cook. And so I continued my exploration of German cooking with schweinpfeffer or Pork Paprika Stew. I liked this recipe a lot as it requires frying lots of bacon in order to render the bacon fat unto Palmer. I mean, it just don't get much tastier than pork fried in bacon fat. Here's how it turned out:



For dessert, I recreated a 17th century recipe for Italian Pudding.

To make an Italian Pudding. Take a Penny white Loafe, pare off the crust, and cut it in square pieces like vnto great Dyes, mince a pound of Beefe Suit small: take halfe a pound of Razins of the Sunne, stone them and mingle them together, and season them with Sugar, Rosewater, and Nutmegge, wet these things in foure Egges, and stirre them very tenderly for breaking the Bread: then put it into a Dish, and pricke three or foure pieces of Marrow, and some sliced Dates: put it into an Ouen hot enough for a Chewet: if your Ouen be too hot, it will burne: if too colde, it will be heauy: when it is bakte scrape on Sugar, and serue it hot at dinner, but not at Supper.

My roomies and I ate late last night- around 9:00 and so we didn't dig into the pudding until after 9:30. And I'm not sure if that was dinner or supper. Anyway, it turned out pretty well, in my humble opinion.



Stevie was not impressed and remarked, "I can't eat this." I'm not totally surprised as the flavor of the rose water was fairly prominent and it's an acquired taste for modern American palates. No big shakes. I liked it. Aside from the rose water, the main flavors were nutmeg and raisins/dates. N.B. - I did not use bone marrow in the recipe. Next time, though. I may have to cook a shank down and saw open a bone, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

No comments: