17 May, 2024

Rue Bourre? More like roux Bourre.

I finally made good on my desire to check out the brick & mortar version of Rue Bourre, the purveyors of Cajun delicacies. In fact, I've been there twice. It's beginning to look like a fortnightly treat.

On my first visit, I took pictures of the restaurant but not of my food. For my latest lunch, I attempted to rectify the omission but only partially succeeded.

The restaurant is bright and New Orleans-y with Mardi Gras colors everywhere. Tables have rolls of paper towels and are armed with Louisiana Hot Sauce.

So far I've been a creature of habit and have ordered gumbo with a side of boudin balls on both occasions. My first order of gumbo was disappointing. It was lighter in color than the stuff I bought from them at the North Side Farmers Market last year and it was thicker too. And less flavorful. Needed more thyme and bay. Today's batch was much better.

Darker roux = more Maillard goodness! Plus more herbs. Very tasty.

Boudin balls are out of focus. Oops.

Well done bread crumbs on the outside (Maillard!), hot and moist sausage in the middle. I first encountered boudin balls last month in New Orleans but had boudin many years back in sausage-in-casing form at a paper shack gas station somewhere near Lafayette.

Delicious! Rue Bourre makes a mean gumbo and boudin ball. I should really explore their menu further.

No comments: