09 August, 2026

Comestibles

I met a friend down at Working Draft Beer earlier this week. My neighbor was there behind the bar doing his thing - I think he's a taproom manager - and he came over as I was sitting at the bar to offer his expertise. I was perusing the maltier side of of the beer menu and he helpfully remarked that the German pils, Hindsight, was freshly tapped. Well, within the last 24 hours.

That settled it.


Oh, it was tasty! A delicate crackery malt with a gentle spicy hoppiness. Working Draft has become the go-to lager spot in town. They're also the go-to smoke beer joint as well. It hasn't been too long since their smoked hefeweizen was on tap and now they've got a rauch Dortmunder Export available for my delectation. Madison is not Bamberg but thanks to Clint and company, there is fresh rauchbier to be had a few times (or more) a year for those of us with refined, smoky tastes.

The next day my ladyfriend and I went to Chicken Licks (née Lips) to satisfy her craving for Buffalo wings. I think my visit there a couple weeks back triggered a spicy, fowl desire in her brain. Because it is her way, she ordered for me and about 15 minutes later I was presented with a basket of chicken wings at Original Sexy Level 3 hotness.


I think that, had they been any spicier, I may have suffered a medical incident. A couple wings in, my right eye began to tear up which, of course, caused my nose to run. Oddly enough, my left eye never watered at all.  Was this due to the angle at which the wings entered my mouth? Perhaps I favor my right side when eating them and a chili miasma crept up to my eye.

Very, very hot yet I could still taste the chicken and the chili flavor.

I think that the kitchen offers yet further levels of fiery goodness for chiliheaded gluttony.

Yesterday at the grocery store I saw more autumnal flavors on the shelves. This time they were accompanied by those generally associated with Christmastime.


Apple season hasn't even started yet the pepperminty flavor of Christmas is here. Uff da!

No comments: