14 August, 2026

That's no blini, you Perv

Last weekend I attended the birthday party of a Ukrainian lady and I ended up eating well.


That's a stuffed zucchini up top - vegetarian - while on the right we have a cheese blini/blintz. The hostess told us what they're called in Ukrainian but I forgot. Google says nalisniki which comports with my vague memory of what she said, i.e. - not beginning with "bli-". The other delectable here was cabbage wrapped in Phyllo dough.

Not shown is the hostess' Ukrainian potato salad which has a reputation that precedes it. People far and wide remark upon it when the hostess comes up in conversation and/or the possibility of attending a soiree at her place. It was tasty stuff indeed - potatoes, peas, dill, and other Slavic goodness.

I am looking forward to the cooler temps of autumn so I feel motivated to cook inside more often without fear of heating my apartment up.

Having gone out for dinner and eaten Buffalo wings twice in the past week or so, I decided to make my own last night. At first I was going to grill them but the chance of rain scared me away so I ended up cooking them in the oven. The sauce was store bought - Frank's Red Hot wing juice - and I dusted them with some spice mixture from Penzeys that was 99% pepper.

Not deadly hot by any means but a they had a little zip to them.


Lately I've been drinking some fine java from Llama Bean Coffee Co. down in Naperville, Illinois.


The beans are Peruvian in origin but the writing on the label looks like "Perv" and so I have been getting grief from my ladyfriend.

It's is tasty stuff.

No comments: