13 July, 2005

Hey Grandma

Does anyone know that song, "Hey Grandma", by Moby Grape? I can't get the song out of my head. It's just such a blatantly catchy tune. It remains lodged firmly in my cranium because I just finished making cabbage rolls:



Ah, there they are, my little precious bundles of cabbage. My grandmother used to make them when I was a kid. Not being a big cabbage eater back in my younger days, I'd unroll them and abscond with the rice and meat inside. Nowadays I like the whole package and have inherited my father's prediliction for putting some vinegar on them when consuming.

I guess I really don't have much to say - I'm just feeling all familial and taking a trip down memory lane. I felt so domestic as I made them. With the new Son Volt album cranking in the background, I fried the meat, made the rice, and boiled the head of cabbage, peeling the leaves as I went.

US highway from north to south
It's history grinning
Get out from under the gun
And drive down highway 61


In the back of my mind, I pictured my parents making them as well as my grandmother. I felt very cognizant that I was third, fourth - who knows - generation cabbage roll maker in my family. Out of all the people in my family who made them, I wonder if any of them thought that one of their descendants would be doing so in the 21st century. And doing so thinking about them doing so. Sort of this temporal feedback loop within a family.

No comments: