12 February, 2004

Back From the Trailing Edge

I am hoping this will be the last ditty from the AP...

CHICAGO - Surrounded by other singers arranged in a square, Judy Hauff rocks her feet heel to toe, rhythmically slashes the air with her arm and sings "Fa la sol la sol."

This is "shape note" music, an a cappella, traditional form of folk hymn singing that dates to Colonial times. Also known as Sacred Harp music, it's enjoying a revival after being featured in the film "Cold Mountain" and on its soundtrack.

"It's America's best kept musical secret," said Hauff at a recent workshop at the Old Town School of Folk Music.

This is really cool! Ever since I got into Sacred Harp music a few years ago, I have never met anyone else who's even heard of the stuff excepting the guy who gave me the CD that introduced me to it and the members of Madison's local shape-note singing group. HA! This is the first time in while that I've been on the leading edge of anything. Well, I did enjoy American roots music long before O Brother Where Art Thou? was released. I am so hip, I can barely see over my own pelvis.

My favorite Sacred Harp song is still "Last Words of Copernicus". Lots of memories attached to that song relating to the death of my stepmother...

No comments: