15 February, 2004

Brush Away That Black Cloud From Your Shoulder

Unsurprisingly, things took a turn for the worse at the mailbox this today. Then my key gets stuck in my car's ignition. My reaction? To write with an all-new music playlist cranking in the background. Why natch.

A Magazine Called Sunset - Wilco
Woodgrain - Wilco
Kamera (alt. version) - Wilco
Bob Dylan's 49th Beard - Wilco
Handshake Drug - Wilco
More Like the Moon - Wilco
True Love Will Find You In the End - Wilco
Student Loan Stereo - Wilco
Last Time Around (Live) - Son Volt
Going, Going, Gone - Son Volt
Holocaust (Live) - Son Volt
Tulsa County (Live) - Son Volt
Weighted Down - Jay Farrar
Molly's Lips - The Vaselines
You Know You're Right - Nirvana
Jack-a-Lynn - Jethro Tull
North Sea Oil - Jethro Tull
Taxi Grab - Jethro Tull
Gutter Geese - Maddy Prior
Sex Spider - Gogol Bordello
And the Mouse Police Never Sleeps - Jethro Tull
One Brown Mouse - Jethro Tull
It All Trickles Down - Jethro Tull

It'll probably change a bit soon but it's a nice mix of melancholy, anger, and comfort. Just something about Jay Farrar's ragged baritone that provides a kind of shelter when I feel blue.

There was a piece about Peter Jackson, director of the Lord of the Ring films, on television this morning. I love him. He's this short, chubby guy who wears shorts all the time without shoes. He's humble, creative, and a damn good storyteller. He's basically a nerd like me and that's probably why I like the guy so much. He'd look right at home at a table playing Dungeons & Dragons. There doesn't seem to be any pretenses with him - no flashy muscle-bound hunk surrounded by anorexic ditzy blonde Hollywood bullshit.

Reading various people's diaries, I have to say that I had no idea there was such contempt for Valentine's Day. Seems like there's a lot of quirkyalones out there. Or just lonely people who are bitter about it and I don't direct that at any of my regular readers. It's funny, I just went to the quirkyalone website only to find that the server's bandwidth limit has been exceeded. I guess they're all there checking in with one another.

Alright, I am going to find some Miranda Sex Garden and Mediaeval Baebes...

No comments: