26 January, 2023

Now is the time the old gods return

Woodlands Dark And Days Bewitched: A History Of Folk Horror is a wonderful documentary that begins with the Unholy Trinity from the late 1960s-early 70s and then heads across the ocean to the United States. From there it's a trip around the globe. Aztec mummy movies! Who knew?

It's 3 hours long but it goes by quickly with lots of clips. I really enjoyed the interviews with filmmakers. Also, some really nice commentary on how these movies reflect the social anxieties of their times. I think some commentators went overboard or made unproven assertions and I rolled my eyes at any and all Freudian explanations. The word "sublimate" was overused, in my opinion.

Still, a great look at the genre and now my To Watch list has grown considerably.

No comments: