26 January, 2023

We love us some Ben Wheatley

Both my Frau and I really enjoy Ben Wheatley's movies. Recently we finally got around to watching Happy New Year, Colin Burstead. I think this was produced for BBC television and never saw a theatrical release. Too bad.

An extended family gathers at a rented castle to ring in the new year. The black sheep of the family also shows up and we get the expected cracked and sometimes twisted interactions between characters that is a hallmark of Wheatley's style. Uncle Bertie is more than just eccentric and I loved how his transvestism is accepted and his appearance alternately sticks out like a sore thumb and is completely banal. Funny, touching, and laced with some intense emotions - I think everyone will see a bit of their own family in there somewhere.

No comments: