04 January, 2023

Oh, she's that lady

 

I watched The Ward recently. Released in 2010, it was something of a comeback for director John Carpenter who hadn't directed anything since Ghosts of Mars 9 years earlier.

When I realized that the heroine was played by Amber Heard, I chuckled to myself thinking, "Oh, she's the bed pooper lady." I don't think I'd ever seen any of her performances prior to this one.

But I think she did a fine job here in a kind of old school horror flick. If Carpenter hadn't directed it, I think people would refer to it as being Carpenteresque with a group of young women in peril at a psychiatric hospital. It's creepy, punctuated with jump scares, and features a little skin. I got a very 80s vibe from it. Plus, it has Jared Harris whom I really enjoy watching as he plies his trade.

No comments: