17 May, 2005

Dane Calls Bush An "Asshole" - Film at 11

Lars von Trier premiered his latest, Manderlay, last night at the Cannes Film Festival. It's the second film of a trilogy exploring America, the first having been Dogville. When asked why he was making films about the United States, von Trier, a Dane, responded:

"A big part of our lives has to do with America. In our country it is overwhelming.

I feel there could just as well be an American military presence in Denmark. We are a nation under a very bad influence, because I think Bush is an asshole and doing a lot of really stupid things.

America is sitting on the world and therefore I am making films about it. I'd say 60% of the things I have experienced in my life are American, so in fact I am an American. But I can't go there and vote. That's why I am making films about America."

I'm sure most people have never heard of Lars von Trier, much less have any idea about his films, his involvement in the Dogma 95 movement, etc. He created "Riget", a fantastic mini-series for Danish TV which was too interesting for American television so Stephen King had to water it down and give us "Kingdom Hospital". I like von Trier's style and am looking forward to seeing Manderlay. First though, I must see Dogville. Following this logic, I must also watch The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones to prepare for Revenge of the Sith tomorrow!

No comments: