05 June, 2006

All Day Fighting and Dinner On the Grounds

Local Medieval combatants, the Clan of the Hydra, had "Rhûn" on Saturday out at Goodland Park.



Rhûn involves a bunch of folks with foam weapons, shields, and period costumes getting together and fighting one another when not socializing. I arrived a bit early and found folks readying for combat. People were friendly but it was obvious that this was a fairly close community. I think I was the only one there who wasn't in a group or friends of someone who was. While nice, people ingored me for the most part unless I initiated conversation and I felt on a couple occasions that my asking questions was considered a bother. So it goes.

Equipment was checked to make sure there were no sharp edges exposed (this was done to weapons by feeling the edges and beating someone in the back with it) and a castle wall was erected.







One couple had brought their young daughters along and they too got into the swing of things.



With the wall completed, more folks from as far away as Rhinelander and Champagne, IL arrived and readied themselves.









Somewhere towards the two o'clock hour, folks took to the field. The last event drew about 100 people but there were only a few dozen this year. The rules were fairly simple: no head shots; two hits to appendages or one to the torso and you're dead. If you get hit in the leg, you have drop to at least one knee and, if your arm gets hit, you've got to put it behind your back.

I have to admit that it was rather an awesome sight as the two groups of fighters march across the field at one another.



It set my mind to imagining what real Medieval combat was like. Firstly, there'd be no cars parked off in the distance. Secondly, the men involved would be much shorter. If you've ever seen period armor, you'd know that most men today could never fit inside. We're much taller, on the whole, plus we're just bigger. My chest is much too big for an old suit of armor. These historical asides aside, I imagined what it would have been like to have hordes of men and horses charging each other. The earth probably shook in the din of battle. These folks had swords, polearms, and arrows. (Sorry, no arquebi.) The guy in the portrait above had a really nice shirt of chain mail too.







Most people got killed fairly quickly. Those still standing usually gathered themselves together and then found an ally. They'd look around for enemies and walk towards them as menacing as possible. Watching one group bearing down on another, I felt really anxious. But it was a hoot waiting for combat to resume.

But it wasn't all serious. These people knew each other and mocked one another on the field of battle. Plus the dead folks chatted as they waited for the round to end. A couple folks even got down to some dancing.



I couldn't stay the whole time as I had to head back downtown to meet up with The Dulcinea. After the fighting, dinner was to be served, a half-barrel rolled out, and who knows what else would transpire.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey hey, nice set of photos. I think I talked to you, but you fit in so well that I didn't realize you weren't already knowledgable about the event.

Anyway, if people are curious to see even more photos of this event, there's a bunch in my flickr photoset of it.

The national organization is called Belegarth, and it has a dedicated flickr group as well, if you'd like to see photos from a variety of events. There was a large event (Spring War) earlier this year in Illinois that attracted around 400 participants, and there's a big one coming up (Armaggedon) that will I believe have even more.

(Fun picture of my daughter, too!)

Anonymous said...

Whoops, when I wrote the above I didn't see your previous thread.

Skip said...

You got some great pictures. I am jealous of your skill with Photoshop and your wide angle lens.

Anonymous said...

I bet you're wondering why suddenly everyone is posting on your blog from so long ago...one of our realm members stumbled across your blog. It's great! It's awesome to see an outsiders persepective.

Please know that questions are always welcome. I'm sorry if anyone made you feel unwelcome last year, I'm sure that wasn't there intention. If you have any, or would like to stop by to give fighting a try, we practice at the Stock Pavillion on UW Campus Thursdays and Sunday at 6pm. You can also check out our forums at www.clanofthehydra.com

~Ju'Dekei

Skip said...

Actually, yours is the first comment on this post in a while.

I wouldn't say I was made to feel unwelcome but rather that the people all knew each other and were busy pursuing a good time with friends.

Anonymous said...

what a noob battle

their costumes suck,learn to play :)