05 June, 2006

Canning Season Approacheth

This weekend was deceptively busy. I ended up with quite a fair number of pictures. One thing I did was to make rhubarb crunch bars or whatever they're called. A stepaunt gave me the recipe a couple years ago but, for some reason, I never got around to making them until Saturday.



The plant community of our backyard is coming along pretty well. We've got some really beautiful flowers:







The garden is looking like it'll be fruitful. This part has all of the tomatoes my precious capsaicin-laden peppers. I didn't plant this year so I'm wondering if we'll get the magical cross-pollination again this year. Last season the jalapenos and Bell peppers did their thing and we ended up with slightly smaller-than-normal Bells that had some bite to them.



The other half has broccoli, onions, muskmelons, and strawberries.





I'm thinking that it's going to be a busy fall with me canning and drying. I want to make hot sauce again too. One thing I learned the last time I made the stuff is that you must let it age a year. The spices and booze I added were MIA for nearly 12 month and then BAM! One day I pulled the bottle out of the frig and it was like a whole different hot sauce.

No comments: