09 June, 2006

Weekend

I'm not really sure what's happening in town this weekend because I won't be here. The Dulcinea and I are heading to Chicago to hear the CSO. Here's the program:

Webern - Symphony, Op. 21
Mozart - Violin Concerto No. 4
Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring

I chose this concert because of Stravinsky but how can you go wrong with Mozart? I'm not very familiar with Webern's work so it will be neat to explore some musical terra incognita. It looks like we'll also be able to catch Greg Palast as he promotes his new book, Armed Madhouse. His stop in Chicago is his only one anywhere near Madison. For info, go here.

I'm spending an arm & a leg for us to stay downtown on Michigan Ave. in the North River area. I'm not sure when we'll be swinging into town so I'm unsure what else we'll do. We will be near the Art Institute and Millennium Park and a short bus ride from everything else downtown Chicago has to offer. Presumably there will be something going down at Grant Park. Since the Palast hoolie is near the UIC campus, perhaps we can make a trek to Chinatown. I'd like to be able to get my arse to the north side and hit some store but I dunno if we'll have time. My buddy Charles is trying to get me to go to a Russian grocery store to get him some pelmeni as he's jonesin'. The re-opened Pelmeni on State Street isn't for shite, according to him.

The theme for Rooftop Cinema tonight at the Overture Center is On Public Life. Also in cinema, Robert Altman's A Prairie Home Companion opens today.

I'd swear there's a neighborhood festival or some such thing going on this weekend but I cannot recall. Have a good weekend.

No comments: