21 June, 2005

The Antelucan Hours

It's 4AM and I'm up drinking coffee. I've been up since around 2. All attempts to fall back to sleep have failed. And so I'm drinking some crappy coffee and watching some TV. First there was Bill Moyers was interviewed by Lou Dobbs on CNN and now it's Keeptime: A Live Recording. It features a jam session between a few of LA's legendary funk/soul/jazz drummers playing with a clutch of DJs. It's pretty neat to see and hear the old timers on their trap kits while all the young punks stand in a row in front of their turntables doing their collective thang.

I offloaded my pictures and videos from this weekend onto my PC. The videos turned out pretty well. I got a 1 minutes clip of them doing "You're Gone" and 3 clips of "Answering Machine". Unfortunately, most of the pictures turned out for shite but I've salvaged a few and there are a few more than can be Photoshopped.

Here's Los Trios Marillos!



This is Steve Rothery on the bass.



And here's me with H and Steve. (Pete is busy signing Ron's 50 album covers.)



Now that I've had some sleep, more memories are coming back to me. For instance, during the little gig at the record store, H started The Scottish Story but stopped after only a couple sentences, promising to tell the whole thing at the concert that night. And he did. While it was only moderately humorous, H's Scottish accent and the bug-eyed look he had when he spoke with it were classic. At one point during the story, Steve started playing "Loch Lomond" which was cool because A) it's Scottish and B) Marillion used it as the basis for a song in tribute to their tour bus, affectionately named Margaret. The story concerned an English yuppie who moves to Scotland to escape the hussle and bustle of London. His Highland neighbor comes over to invite him to a party which involves sex, drugs, and fighting. It was humorous to me even though I knew just the usual Scottish stereotypes.

Next up on the Sundance Channel is a documentary about some scientists investigating LSD. After that is the Al Franken Show. I also see that June is Gay Pride Month or something like that so they're showing lots of relevant documentaries. I've seen the doc about Harvey Milk already but these others that they're pushing look interesting.

Well, the sun is rising and Stevie should be up soon. It'll be weird to see him as I haven't since Saturday morning.

Ooh! This doc on LSD features nudity!

No comments: