10 June, 2005

Voices In My Head

Well, not yet but they may soon. And I don't mean I'm developing schizophrenia. I mean that Elwood Norris has invented a very interesting system for delivering sound.

Norris' HyperSonic Sound system has won him an award coveted by inventors -- the $500,000 annual Lemelson-MIT Prize. It works by sending a focused beam of sound above the range of human hearing. When it lands on you, it seems like sound is coming from inside your head.

This sounds intriguing. (pun intended) Will he be able to make it surround stereo? My only worry is it could also make for some incredibly fucking annoying advertising. You'd be walking by McDonalds and then suddenly you've got the Hamburglar inside your head demanding that you eat a Big Mac. Then again, walking by Red Letter News could be a fun experience.

No comments: