16 June, 2005

Midnight Magic Party

While I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan on the face of the planet, I still think it would be fun to go the party in celebration of the release of the newest book in the series. I never went to any midnight release kind of party like this when I was a kid. In fact, I'm not sure there were any for me to attend. They'll have Wizard Chess, Sword Swallowing, a Potions Lab, Prof. Trelawney's Fortune Telling, and "much more". Someday I will turn into a curmudgeon like my old man so I should probably see what the next generation of geeks who will succeed me is like before I hide myself away from the world.

I have a question for any Potter fans who may be reading this: I see that folks in the UK get Adult and Children's versions of the novels - do we get them here in the US? Can anyone speak to the differences between the US & UK versions? I know that the first book is properly entitled, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and American children are too stupid and/or unwilling to have anything to do with a book that has the word "philosopher" in its title, but how are the books changed for American consumption? Is it merely replacing "lift" with "elevator" and that kind of stuff?

No comments: