16 April, 2023

You got pepper in my pils! You got pils in my pepper!

I stopped in at the Great Dane yesterday and sampled their Tri Pepper Pils.

I've always found chili beers to be a real mixed bag with most of them being blonde ales with way too much jalapeño, as if it were a novelty brew from Archie McPhee. Here jalapeños are joined by poblano and habanero chilies in a Czech-style pilsner. There's just a smidgen of heat but a good dose of chili flavor that seems to mostly be the green taste of jalapeño and poblano.

Initial sips were light & brisk but, after the beer warmed a bit, the chili taste was joined by a fine maltiness which made for a nice balance with its contrasting flavor and sweetness.

I was happy to find this a very delectable beer instead of one that tempted you into Scoville madness.

No comments: