25 August, 2005

Random Bits

I was sitting in the den last night writing while Ridley's Black Rain played on the television. It's not a great movie, by any means, but I wanted some background noise and a bad Ridley Scott movie is better than most of the crap Hollywood proffers. Then the motherfucking TiVo changes the channel on me to record that stupid fucking Rock Star INXS crapshow. Not wanting to piss off Becca, I let 'er rip and suffer through about 20 minutes of the show before Stevie and Becca come in from the patio. They proceed to rewind the goddamn thing so I am forced to experience the whole first half a second time!

It occurred to me that Dave Navarro is a punk-ass bitch. Sitting there with his feet up on the chair like he's a fucking college student pretending to lord over his domain of a fucking TV set. Then there's the fat, bloated corpse that was INXS. While I've never been a huge fan of the band, I have enjoyed various songs of theirs and always thought of them as being good writers of catchy pop songs. And now they sit there on network television watching a parade of nubile female courtiers flashing cleavage attempting to gain favor. What happened to these guys? I'll readily admit that I've never been in a band so the process of auditioning for a new singer is not something with which I have experience. But I've read enough to figure that perhaps putting an ad in the paper or having your manager solicit demo tapes was the proper path. And then you can actually get in a room with a prospect and jam as well as get to know the individual on a personal level instead of just watching them shake their booties on American television.

R.I.P. INXS

I found out that one of my readers is a nerd. Well, truth be told, more than one of my readers is a nerd but this nerd is a freelance game editor which I think is pretty hoopy. Perhaps I'll get to meet her at GenCon next year. Another reader told me that she used to run game cons at the University of Kentucky. Funny how my GenCon reports brought all the gamer chicks out from the woodwork.

A couple good flicks open here tomorrow: The Brothers Grimm and Grizzly Man. Plus Broken Flowers is still around. Help support 3 great directors (Terry Gilliam, Werner Herzog, and Jim Jarmusch) and go see these films! Oh, and 9 Songs opens in Chicago tomorrow - at the Music Box.

No comments: