31 March, 2004

A New Mantra

Scientists are funny. I'm watching a documentary examining the brains of teenagers. A neuroscientist is being interviewed and he has a teenage son. The kid is in an MRI machine having his brain scanned. Once the image of the brain appears on the screen, the father looks at it and remarks, "He's got a normal hippocampus - then how come he forgets to take out the garbage?"

Despite arguing with a moving company rep, I am still stuck here until Saturday. I'm having them hold the stuff for a week so I won't actually have to drive to Chicago until next Saturday. An end is in sight.

I had my first hot meal in what feels like ages. It was crappy fast food because I was desperate and in the part of town that's all malls and crap. I did learn today that late afternoon is the time to be at the coffeehouse. Holy fuck where there hotties there today! Unfortunately, I couldn't stay but tomorrow is another day. Also, Chris, the realtor, said that there's fresh strawberries to be had just down the road apiece.

I know I can do this. Just gotta stay sane for a few more days. If the movers are in and outta here early enough, I think I'll hit the road Saturday evening. Otherwise, I'll just get an early start on Sunday. It's about a 17 or 18 hour drive (rougly 1200 miles)and I don't think I'll be able to do it in one go alone. The longest I've driven in one haul is 15 hours. But I had the old man with me for company. If I can get 500 miles in the first day, I'll be happy.

Strawberries, coffee, and coeds...strawberries, coffee, and coeds - my new mantra!

No comments: