05 March, 2004

I Hope I'm Not Too Messianic

I hath returned and wait by the phone like an expectant father. I have emailed my business partners and called one of them about a job. I have done a few in a row and it is someone else's turn. But they never get back to me with any haste. So our reputation for quick response suffers as I end up waiting for calls that never come. I swear, if this one of my partners bitches about not getting enough work, I may explode. It's here - waiting. Give me a cell #, check your email, get a pager. Something. I do send notices out to 2 of his email addresses. And when I do get responses, it's always "I can't do it" for whatever reason. Outta town, have an appointment - always something. Why bother to invest in a company if you're not willing to put time and effort into it? You can't expect customers' needs to conform to your schedule. I've canceled vacations, social outings, time with friends, etc. to take care of clients. But I am the only one. I just want to yell at them to shit or get off the pot!

Anyway, the CDs have been mailed. I am listening to "Three Hours" by Nick Drake as someone suggested. It's quite excellent! I was pleasantly surprised to see Danny Thompson's name in the credits and then pleasantly unsurprised to see Richard Thompson's. Although not related, the Thompsons have played together for a while now. I know one or two Nick Drake songs but got a 4CD box set so I have tons to listen to now. I also got The Godless Constitution. That's the atheist in me. It's a short book so I hope to have it mostly, if not completely, done by the time that Anais Nin book is ready for me.

Jinkies! I see that on another Nick Drake album here that Peggy and Dave Mattacks play on it. Christ! He's got most of the Fairport Convention crew playing with him! And John Cale too!

Ya know, I thought I actually had something of worth, albeit not of much, to write. But something. Hmmm...I see that a couple of my faves are out on the overhang today. That'll learn 'em!

I'm watching a documentary on the Waco incident in 1993. I suppose that part of my motiviation comes from a TV news magazine story I saw last night about a woman who escaped from a very closed polygamist community in Utah, I presume, and helps girls who want to escape from it do so. The piece mentioned Jonestown and ended with a talking head saying something about blah blah blah "...girls escaping from polygamy". So I said to my landlord, "Are they escaping from polygamy or from a bunch of fucking nutcases?" And those Heaven's Gate crazies. Why is wrong with the mind of a guy who castrates himself so he can commit suicide and hitch a ride on a comet? What goes on in the head of a mother who makes her kill themselves? 276 children drank cyanide at the behest of their parents and/or elders in the Jonestown Massacre. And 20 children died at Waco. I don't know yet if they were shot before the place went up in flames or if they were burned alive. What's the difference between those people and, say, my Catholic mother who is nothing but kind, patient, and loving? What's the difference between them and me?

I'm just a monkey man.

No comments: