08 March, 2004

Midday Report

Today has been mildly productive. I have applied for five jobs and set up an appointment to talk to a rep from a TV station here in town. They want someone to sponsor a segment on their local news shot once a week and have somone come on to explain software and various gadgets. So, in theory, I could be on TV giving everyone the skinny on stuff. Then I could start my own fan club! I also got to see Raj today which was cool as I hadn't seen him in a while. In addition, I finally got in touch with my editor and will have new stuff to review soon.

Instead of going to the cinema, I watched Iris here at home. Cheaper, doncha know. It's about English philosopher/author Iris Murdoch and her relationship with her husband. It had a very sad side as she was afflicted with Alzheimer's Disease. But it was also very tender. Lots of great acting. Tears welled in my eyes during the scene when her bubby yelled at her while they were in bed together - very potent stuff. I do wish they had developed their relationship a bit more prior to the Alzheimer's making itself known - so I could get a better feel for all that she was losing, if that makes any sense. As I watched it, I saw parts of myself in her husband, John Bayley. More often, though, I thought to myself, "That's the kinda woman I want in my life!" Again, actually, as I did date a woman a bit like Iris Murdoch a couple years ago. She was more doctor/biologist than philosopher/writer but had that sassy, lustful attitude towards life about her. And she made me laugh seemingly all the time. Well, enough stupid reminiscing...

Next, I'm gonna watch Henry Fool. Hopefully. I feel like crap. Physically OK, but mentally I'm having a hard time keeping a train of thought going and, in general, paying attention to much.

No comments: