10 March, 2004

A Passionate Entry

Contrary to the feeling of my doubting-Thomas reader, I did get to see The Passion of the Christ this afternoon. I thought it was a good movie and not nearly as "violent" as my mind pictured it with all the reviews and comments I've heard and read. The cinematography was excellent as was the sound and I can see Academy Awards for these. As a story, it seemed more like a 3rd act than self-contained. But that was its intention - to graphically display the suffering of the Christ. It was an intense experience with the wonderful surround sound and a 3-story tall battered and bruised face before me. And I think that's what makes it good - the visceral thrill. The scourging scene was agonizing and the nail being driven through the hand was disturbing. The thing I enjoyed the most, however, was the Latin! When the Roman guards first spoke it, I nearly creamed my jeans. It was so fucking awesome to hear my favorite (dead) language being spoken on the big screen! And, if any more evidence is needed to prove I'm a geek, I not only understood about half of the Latin as it was spoken but I also found a couple spots where the subtitles were wrong. Little did I know as a 9 year-old starting out with Latin that I'd be watching it on the big screen. Fucking brilliant!

Now, was it anti-Semitic? I didn't see Voight's connection between it and Nazi propaganda films generally. I did see it as having something in common with Triumph of the Will, namely, an attempt at a gesamtkunstwerk. The imagery and the music all focusing the viewer's emotions into an intense gestalt. The film portrays the Jewish leaders as fiercely intent on seeing Jesus' demise. So what? Christ was a rabble rouser in his time - that's how power structures react to such people. I don't think that, just because the structure is comprised of Jews, that it's anti-Semitic.

One thing that humored me was me. During certain scenes, my mind kept flashing to various parts of Monty Python's Life of Brian.

Coordinator: Crucifixion?
Stan: Yes.
Next prisoner.
Stan: Er, no, freedom actually.
Coordinator: What?
Stan: Yeah, they said I hadn't done anything and I could go and live on an island somewhere.
Coordinator: Oh I say, that's very nice. Well, off you go then.
Stan: No, I'm just pulling your leg, it's crucifixion really.
laughing
Stan: Yes I know, out of the door, one cross each, line on the left.

No comments: