16 March, 2004

Here Comes Skippy Again

Not a blatantly exciting day. I did manage to do some more work on my short story. I've rehoolied "The Siren's Wail" quite a bit. It's really rough and too light-hearted at this point but the rest will flow - eventually. At this point, it's about the Afterlife company that takes souls from Earth and sends them onto their final destinations. Their system gets hacked and a soul is stolen which prompts an investigation. We'll see how it turns out.

Had another meeting this evening. All of my business partners were there and the sales rep from the TV station. Aside from her lying and thinking me ugly, I want nothing to do with it because I just don't like the TV station. It's all dumbed-down, lowest common denominator shit. I won't watch it and I'd rather not support it. In fact, I'd just assume they go off the air instead of promoting their mindless pap. And she seems to fit right in with it. They way she dresses, the way she talks - this whole yuppie, trendy, fake bullshit. I just don't want any part of it. I'll go fix the computers and whatnot but leave me out of having to deal with those people. Still, I was pleasant and got her to laugh a couple times. But, if I never have to deal with her again, it will be too soon.

My downloading activities have been at the same time frustrating and fulfilling. Frustrating in that there are certain times of the day when my connections to the hubs are constantly disconnecting. However, when the connections are stable, I am able to snag some pukka stuff. Right now, my precious Marillion show from 17 July 1983 is streaming onto the hard drive. Once I get this, I'll burn a copy for Moose and see what morsel I can glean from his collection. As for the newest additions to my collection, we have:

Genesis - 72-01-16

Doc Watson - 1969-08-22

Gentle Giant - 1875-11-12

Genesis - 1977-05-21

Jethro Tull - 1987-11-25

Genesis - 1986-09-30

Doc Watson - 1971

Genesis - 1978-06-03

Jethro Tull - 1977-01-14

Yes - 2002-07-29

That Rage Against the Machine show is nearly done but, with disconnets, will still be a while. I am also trying to get a Flatt & Scruggs gig from 1950. My connection to the guy who has it is swift but is currently suffering from disconnects. I find it odd that most of the people at the bluegrass hub don't have much, if any bluegrass. It's a lot of people with a lot of Grateful Dead and Phish. Sorry, but they're not bluegrass. Not even close. I like the Dead and Phish but I'm looking for the bluegrass, not jam bands. And some people have just tons of String Cheese Incident and Leftover Salmon. Closer, perhaps, but not my cuppa tea. There used to be so much more of the real deal here. I wonder what happened.

Got a call from a recruiter today. I've spoken with him before and he gave me the usual line. More jobs coming in. No details and no time frame. Who knows. Someone asked me about my plans for the weekend today but I cannot recall who or what they wanted to do. And Miss Rosie is back from Vegas. She and I'll have to get together for cocktails soon.

Well, I guess life can't be all bad when you've got a bluegrass version of Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life" playing.

No comments: